“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” –Psalm 46:1
Hurricane Florence has devastated many people in Eastern North Carolina. The needs are great, but as God’s people, we are answering the call to bring hope and healing to our neighbors.
Please check this page regularly for new opportunities to pray, give, and serve.
WUMC is answering the cry of our neighbors!
- Over $60,000 given to local hurricane relief.
- 477 hygiene kits packed by Children of J.O.Y.
- 911 blessing/snack bags packed by 4:12 Youth
- 500 hot meals cooked and delivered to first responders and those in need
- 1,000 meals served by volunteers to residents of Solomon Towers
- 3900 items of nonperishable food given to Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard
- 1263 items given to hungry children through Nourish NC
- 1200 packages of diapers, wipes, toilet paper, and toiletries given to the Harrelson Center
- 80 boxes of diapers given to the NC Diaper Bank
- 10 large boxes of clothes, household supplies, food and gas gift cards, and baby items given to Methodist Home for Children for a family in need
- Two work teams of youth and two work teams of adults that have cleared debris from over 20 yards
for those in areas most affected, such as Cross Creek, Northchase, Hampstead, Leland, Burgaw, many who are still without power or water
for all who have been evicted from apartment complexes due to storm damage and who are unable to find affordable housing
for children and teachers who have begun the school year again
for those who are living paycheck-to-paycheck who have lost wages because of the storm
for the workers and volunteers, both local and out-of-town, who are working to restore the community
for everyone who is weary and in need of new hope!
The need in our area is great. All donations will stay to help local families. Write a check to Wrightsville UMC with the memo line “Hurricane Relief.”
We will be collecting different items weekly that area food banks and relief centers need desperately. Please bring bags of rice, laundry detergent, dish soap, bleach, and vinegar with you on Sunday.
We are blessed with many organizations serving our community, both local, national, & international! Recovery is a marathon and not a sprint—we will be standing by our neighbors as long as they need, so keep checking back for more ways to serve.
Serve with Our Adopted Neighborhoods
We have partnered with other church and community groups to adopt neighborhoods affected by the hurricane. Many folks who live paycheck-to-paycheck have faced lost wages and unexpected expenses and need a helping hand to get back on their feet.
For the next four weeks, we will be bringing hot meals from the Red Cross and needed supplies to the Hooker Road Mobile Home Community on Tuesdays from 5-7:30 pm and the Wrightsville Avenue Mobile Home Community on Wednesdays from 5-7:30 pm. Since some of these residents speak Spanish, Spanish skills are welcomed but not required!
Sign up to take a Tuesday or Wednesday shift here.
Or find a volunteer opportunity below:
Questions? Want to plug in? Contact Pastor Christina at firstname.lastname@example.org or (910) 839-8476.